Tuesday, October 16, 2007

S401 Posting #1

This particular rambling is more about blogging in general, rather than one specific location or site. I happened to be reading in blogspots in a blog entitled The Shifted Librarian. As I began to skim the latest posting I became aware of how much information is on the web. I realized this because this particular blog had links to several other sites within the article, when I went to some of those sites I was again given the opportunity to go to other links. It seemed like an enormous web, all interconnected somehow, and yes I do see the irony of what I just said. It just struck me as information overload, where a person could seemingly spend countless hours reading what other people think. Herein lies the danger of blogs, in my opinion, unless I am reading blogs from a specific company or source, i.e. National Geographic, what I am reading is still only someone’s personal thoughts. Even if the person is qualified and trained in whatever they are rambling about it is still their opinion. I need to be careful and remember that as I read about all the negativity that current librarians seem to be portraying on blog sites. I know that not all librarians are unhappy, yet someone who is a follower or naïve may decide on issues based not on their own experiences but on those experienced by others. I learned I need to read these blogs for what they are, one person’s thoughts and ideas which they have the right to share, but that doesn’t mean I need to listen to what they say.

No comments: