Friday, October 19, 2007

S401 Post #3

Today I was browsing through the other feeds I joined and I finally came to the conclusion that if I quit my job and sold my children I might have enough time to read maybe a ¼ of all the available blogs. I am very intrigued at the moment with the feed titled Librarians Internet Index. It is an index of websites that may have a use in a library setting. I could see this being a valuable asset in a school setting when a teacher wants a list of random web sites in order to guide the students through some web analysis and evaluation. Examples from this Thursday’s (it’s updated each Thursday) list are: The Blurb, Tip of the Week, Coyote Bytes, California Schoolfinder, New River Gorge: Bridge Day, The Alliance for Climate Protection and the list continues. I see web evaluation becoming bigger and bigger in school systems. As more students are flooded with information, a generational skill they will have to have is how to evaluate that information. A generation past mine could find success without a high-school diploma, if you could read and write and know basic math, you were going to be O.K. My generation started the computer trend, although I was in high school before I ever typed on a keyboard. The generation of my children already knows how to type and manipulate basic computer operations; information and technology will be a daily part of their lives. If I want to equip them for success, I need to equip them with the basic information fluency skills. Even after this class I may keep my feeds to see what’s going on in the World Wide Web.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.