
It's been a while, but I have been busy. I keep trying to follow the 8 W's in a sequential order yet I find myself all over the W's with lots of backtracking. For example, I went back to Wondering and found my focus. I now know that I want to find information about the basics of
Siberia, not for me, but for my sons. I think I was getting too in-depth and technical when what I really needed was to find information that would be logical and easy to explain to toddlers. This of course changed some of my Webbing, but it was for the best as I was able to find some great sites using Grolier's on-line resources. It broke down my basic search of Siberia into encyclopedia entries, web pages, and full text articles. I did try some searches of the net and came away with some information, but it was scattered. I tried Russian embassies, and found some outdated material. I also tried adoption agencies, but they seemed intent on getting them out of the country and not any particulars on where they came from. I thought of this as my Wiggling phase as I evaluated my informational resources and planned on how to fit my research into a logical pattern. I really didn't get into the communicating and collaborating phase, yet I did think that as the boys matured and are able to handle more complex information and emotions I would then have a starting point for how to make this project fit adolescence. I felt comfortable in the Wiggling phase and was pleased that I had found reliable information. Next came the Weaving or Synthesizing phase. Here I came up with a graphic organizer to help me limit such a broad topic. By limiting my topic I am able to focus on a few particulars and synthesize that into morsels of knowledge. I also loved the fact that the web-site had ready made citations for every article on its site. This will make my job that much easier, and I was struck with the thought "that is how technology is supposed to work, not replacing what I can accomplish, but enhancing it." I am ready to begin the Wrapping phase and am leaning toward a PowerPoint presentation. I'll see how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment